This journal was started by John Gamgee (1831-1894), with assistance from his father Joseph Gamgee (1801-1895), shortly after setting up his own veterinary school in Edinburgh – ‘The New Veterinary College’ – in August 1857. Articles include a particular focus on epizootic disease, the risks from the import of diseased cattle, and statistics of contagious diseases across England and Scotland. The Edinburgh Veterinary Review was published until 1864. When Gamgee’s school moved to London in 1865, under the name ‘The Albert Veterinary College’, it continued briefly as Veterinary Review, lasting for only eleven issues.
You might also like
RCVS VET HISTORY
The Alborada Trust
The Alborada Trust is a charitable trust founded in 2001. Its aims are the funding of medical and veterinary causes, research and education – and the relief of poverty and human and animal suffering, sickness and ill-health. Charity Registration No 1091660
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Trust (trading as RCVS Knowledge) is a registered Charity No. 230886. Registered as a Company limited by guarantee in England and Wales No. 598443.
First Floor, 10 Queen Street Place, London EC4R 1BE
RCVS Knowledge, The Cursitor, 38 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1EN
020 7202 0721